The third law of thermodynamics equation is mentioned below. Here, I’ll also tell you why entropy of pure crystalline substances is zero.
So first of all, the statement of third law of thermodynamics is;
“The value of entropy of a completely pure crystalline substance is zero at absolute zero temperature”
Now let us see the equation of third law of thermodynamics.
You might be knowing that we can calculate the change in entropy using this formula.
S – S0 = kB lnΩ
- S = entropy of the system
- S0 = initial entropy
- kB = Boltzmann constant
- Ω = total number of microstates
If a substance is perfectly Crystalline, then its total number of microstates will be 1 (Ω = 1).
Now from the above equation, we get;
S – S0 = kB lnΩ
= kB ln(1)
= 0. (Because ln 1 = 0)
Now, When the initial entropy of the system is taken as zero, the value of entropy S can be calculated easily.
Thus from above equation, we get;
S – 0 = 0
S = 0
Thus, the entropy of a pure crystalline substance is “zero” at absolute zero temperature.
I hope you have understood the third law of thermodynamics equation.
For more detailed information on Third law of thermodynamics, check the ultimate guide on Third law of thermodynamics.
(This guide has all the important knowledge about Third law of thermodynamics along with examples and lots more. You will love this guide for sure.)
Suggested important topics:
- What is Thermodynamics? (35+ topics with Definitions and basics)
- What is First law of thermodynamics?
- First law of thermodynamics definition/statement (In simple way)
- Examples of First Law of Thermodynamics / Law of conservation of Energy
- First law of thermodynamics equation (A practical explanation)
- Limitations of First Law of Thermodynamics
- What is second law of thermodynamics? [8+ Best examples to remember the law]
- Examples of Second Law of Thermodynamics (8+ best examples)
- Second Law of Thermodynamics Definition/Statement (Next level explanation)
- Second Law of Thermodynamics Equation [Practical explanation]
- What is Third law of thermodynamics? (in simple terms)
- Laws of thermodynamics
- What is Carnot Cycle in Thermodynamics?
- What is the definition of entropy in thermodynamics?
- Heat capacity vs specific heat in thermodynamics
- What is Thermodynamic Equilibrium? (With Best Example)
- Thermodynamic Process (With Examples)
- What is Thermodynamic System? – Open, Closed & Isolated system (With Examples)